[Ayatana-dev] Nux and Unity (with Unity Core) now respectively reaches 2.0 and 5.0!

Hey guys,
(Sorry for the cross-posting, but I think this will interest people on both lists)

Just a quick note that now the version are bumped in trunk. The autolanding system I previously presented (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2011-November/003492.html) built them both and the packages are available right now building in the unity-team staging ppa https://launchpad.net/~unity-team/+archive/staging (and will be moved later on the ppa once autopilot bits are plugged in). Juts to be clear: this is just an internal bump, this is *not* a release. :)

Also, we changed with Jay the way Nux and the packaging handle its ABI. Nux, being under heavy development, doesn't bump the ABI at each ABI break as there are regularly breakage. As right now, we just have two consumers (unity and unity-2d), we can have a graceful way to handle it. The idea I discussed with Jay was to steal what compiz does. Consequently, right now, Nux defines an ABI date in configure.ac (m4_define([nux_abi_version], [20111205])), that we pick up in the packaging to provide a virtual package containing the abi_version string. Then, once unity is built, we pick this version and makes unity depending on it.

We don't have a dependency issue as the autolanding system merges every nux branches before starting to build the unity ones (the other components though, are merged in and built in parallel, we just depend the merge order on package dependencies, like libunity, dee), and so, same in the ppa.

In a nutshell, if you need to break the Nux ABI, just bump the nux_abi_version value in configure.ac to the current date and all the rest will be taken in charge for you. :)
Cheers,
Didier