Re: Looking for ways to make Ubuntu Unity work better with VMware Unity

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Philipp Gassmann <phiphi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you for your appreciation.
> I didn't think of the global menu in an ubuntu or Mac host only. I thought
> you could use the window decoration and the menu system (in the window or
> globally) of the host system and just export the actual content of the
> windows. I don't know the inner working of the graphics system, as far as I
> know the content of windows are drawn in a X buffer, that then are moved
> and overlayed by a window manager. I imagine one could interfere there and
> export the content of application windows to the host system instead of
> whole-screen-capture and cutting away what's not wanted.

Yeah, that's really not something we want to be involved in. That
responsibility is and should be with the guest Window Manager and guest
Desktop Environment. The second we start trying to manipulate things like
that in the host, we get into really hot water really fast. We're trying to
keep it as simple as possible, like "host, there's a window at this rect:
800x688@50,100. please draw it". =:)

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper   //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ bash fun -> :(){ :|:&};:   //  Numbers 6:22-26 ]-