Re: Faster dash

2012/5/23 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> One thing we might wanna look at is how many GSources we create. I read
> somewhere that someone saved a lot of time changing to having his callbacks
> share a single GSource, instead of creating and attaching a gajillion
> sources. This is not just for UBus of course, but in anything perf critical
> (nux/unity/compiz jumps to mind).

A precise answer? A lot! :)
I'm currently porting unity to use a GSource wrapper (glib::Source) I
wrote to be more C++ friendly, (even if it could lead to some
overhead, but it's pretty simple and it gives development
benefits...). However, if you just try this branch
lp:~3v1n0/unity/move-to-gsource-wrapper adding some debug bits into
UnityCore/GLibSource* you'll notice how many sources we use,
especially on Dash Initialization.

Currently glib::Source is very simple and I've only designed it to
wrap the glib struct, but probably we could improve that also to be
reused.

--
Treviño, Ubuntu member
https://launchpad.net/~3v1n0