Re: the privacy button that doesn't do what it says it does

On 30/10/12 09:43, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
On 29 October 2012 22:05, Alan Bell <alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:alanbell@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Alan,

I don't have any particular comment on the implementation of the "privacy" as I haven't been involved in that - but there's a technical tidbit I do have something to attach to:

     SNIP This leads on to the thought that an evil genius could write
    a lens/scope that is invisible, and presents no results, but
    listens to the global search query change event and sends every
    keystroke out to the internet, regardless of the privacy
    preference setting. This is bad. I don't see any valid use-case
    for a lens to set the visible property to false.

Firstly - if you can run a process under a given user, that user is basically screwed for all intents and purposes. That is - at least until Ubuntu implements a rigorous apparmor sandboxing of *all* processes. Which is a huge task, that I don't know the state of (if it even has a "state" :-)). IOW - hiding a lens in order to log global search keystrokes is the *least* of your worries.

yes, I fully agree with that, I think the security/privacy concerns are overblown in general, my main worry is that if you have a privacy feature it should actually work.

Secondly - hiding a lens does certainly have very good practical use. It's fx. being utilized in the apps lens to back the queries for the Alt-F2 run dialog iirc. The unity-lens-applications process actually houses two lenses, one hidden for alt-f2, another the normal apps lens. This saves considerable amounts of memory because they can share caches and indexes.

didn't know that, very interesting, I had no idea that the alt-f2 results were related to the apps lens. I still think it is confusing having the shopping results on the home of the dash without having a lens icon that they came from.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk