Re: VM Mail Reader: copyright issue question

Dear Tami, Thanks for your keen interest.  Noah Friedman is of course
well-known to us.

Kyle Jones issued VM under GPL.  So, it can be freely redistributed.
However, FSF has a policy of distributing only software for which it
owns the copyright.  So, they don't include it in Gnu Emacs.  If they
would like to distribute it, there is nothing stopping them.
Likewise, there is nothing stopping Kyle Jones from assigning
copyright to FSF.

The reference 15 on the Wikipedia page of Emacs gives more details of
the discussion

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs

It would be ideal if Kyle Jones can assign his copyright to the FSF.
The rest of us are quite happy to do so as well.  But, Kyle Jones
hasn't been heard from since 2007.  If either Noah or you can reach
him and persuade him, we would be quite grateful.

Cheers,
Uday