Re: vm looks for vcard-api-version - not defined

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

> I'm surprised to hear that; many of the functions don't look like his
> style to me.  Also, many of the problems I experience with Japanese
> and other non-ISO8859-compatible codings started only after VM 8 was
> installed in the XEmacs packages.  (That's not a proof, since XEmacs
> has also changed dramatically over that period of time.)

I just did a diff between version 7.19 and 8.0.12 to check.  There
were 132 hunks.  But most of them were little tweaks and about 15 new
defuns which were really peripheral.  So, yes, the basic code is from
Kyle.

However, I believe that most of the mule and charset code got
exercised significantly only after Kyle signed off.  Rob was trying to
fix them as best as he could throughout the period he was in charge.
When he went inactive in Jan 2009, things were still in a bit of
disarray.  After Ulrich and I took over, we managed to get all the
outstanding charset coding problems fixed in a few months.  The
version 8.1.1 incorporates all these fixes.  So, can you download
8.1.1 and give it a try?  You can download it from
https://launchpad.net/vm.  It should be able to make an XEmacs
site-package for you quite automatically.

> Oh, I'd say I have my INBOX corrupted at least once a month, actually.
> It's pretty much guaranteed if you do vm-recover-folder with 7-bit
> ISO-2022 encodings in the auto-save file.

If you still have the problem with 8.1.1, please do send us a bug
report at vm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  We take any bug report showing
folder corruption quite seriously.

> That's up to you.  But I would put my money on you regretting that
> decision.  The MIME code at least is very fragile and non-conformant.
> Cleaner code, eg, borrowing emacs-mime, mm, and rfc2231.el at least
> from gnus would probably make life a lot easier in the long run.

Ok, I will keep it in mind.  And, thanks for the tip on switching to
message-mode as well.  I didn't realize that a simple switch like that
can work!

Cheers,
Uday