compilation warnings

Dear Ulrich and Tim,

I have now turned on in the trunk, the general compilation warnings of
Emacs 23 (but not "suspicious" warnings)

I have fixed most of them, but there are a few tricky ones left, to do
with default-enable-multibyte-characters, make-local-hook, focus-frame
and such things.  I would appreciate your help in fixing these
remaining ones.

The "suspicious" warnings are mostly to do with the use of
save-excursion.  I have been fixing some of them off and on, but they
are tedious and dangerous to fix.  So, we will keep them as a
long-range project to work on.

Cheers,
Uday

Follow ups