default-enable-multibyte-characters

Dear Ulrich,

With Tim's help, I have added functions vm-generate-new-unibyte-buffer
and vm-generate-new-multibyte-buffer in vm-misc.el.  These two absorb
all references to default-enable-multibyte-characters.

Can you review these functions and test them out with some multibyte
data?

Incidentally, I find that default-enable-multibyte-characters is not
present in XEmacs 21.4.20 and 21.4.22.

set-buffer-multibyte is present in XEmacs 21.4.22.  Most of VM assumes
that it is only present in FSF Emacs.  Should we change the tests for
this?

Cheers,
Uday