Re: [Question #108267]: stunnel on Windows

Question #108267 on VM changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/vm/+question/108267

Andy Hong proposed the following answer:
If anyone is still struggling on Windows with Emacs, VM, Cygwin, Gmail,
gnutls, stunnel, etc -- I'd suggest the following:

1.  Download and install the Windows binary of stunnel:
http://stunnel.org/

2.  Edit your stunnel.conf file so that it includes the following:

    [gmail-imap]
    client = yes
    accept = 127.0.0.1:143
    connect = imap.gmail.com:993

    [gmail-smtp]
    client = yes
    accept = 127.0.0.1:587
    connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

3.  Run stunnel.

2.  Instead of using imap-ssl, use regular old imap to access your gmail
mailboxes, but use the port that you created with stunnel:

    (setq
       vm-primary-inbox "imap:127.0.0.1:143:INBOX:login:your-gmail-address@xxxxxxxxx:your-gmail-password")

3.  Instead of using starttls or gnutls, use regular old smtp to access
gmail's smtp servers, but again, use the stunnel port:

    {setq
        send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
        message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
        smtpmail-local-domain nil
        smtpmail-sendto-domain nil
        smtpmail-smtp-server "127.0.0.1"
        smtpmail-default-smtp-server "127.0.0.1"
        smtpmail-smtp-service 587
        smtpmail-auth-credentials
        '(("127.0.0.1" 587 "your-gmail-address@xxxxxxxxx" "your-gmail-password")))

Last year, I spent countless hours getting an earlier version of Emacs and VM working with Gmail.  Then recently, I upgraded to Emacs 23.3 and VM 8.2.0a, and my access to gmail broke. An unfruitful half-day later, I gave up trying to debug and fix my previously working configuration, and instead, went the route explained above with the Windows binary of stunnel. MUCH easier -- it pretty much worked out of the box.

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of VM
development team, which is an answer contact for VM.