Re: [VM] imap-ssh and passwords

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Uday Reddy <usr.vm.rocks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim Cross writes:
>
>> > I know I could use .ssh/config (though in fact I regularly log in to the
>> > target with two different usernames), but it still seems to me that this
>> > is something VM should support?
>> >

>> There is no argument about that, which is why I referred to it as a
>> work around rather than a fix. In fact, I would expect that Uday would
>> certainly welcome any code contribution that removed such limitations.
>
> Actually, to tell you the truth, I am not so sure of the "VM should support"
> argument.  We work in an open software environment where different
> components have to be put together to get the job done.
>
> Emacs is our preferred front-end, and we would like to do everything from
> Emacs if at all possible.  But when it is not possible to do so, we should
> feel free to venture outside Emacs.  It would be "good" if VM can support
> SSH, but it is not necessary that it "should".
>
> Cheers,
> Uday

Just to clarify, my comment was more an agreement that if VM is to
support imap over ssh, it should allow the specification of username.
I wasn't meaning there was no argument that ssh support should be part
of VM, only that if it is, we should fully support it and patches to
improve that support would be welcome.

I think the question as to whether VM should support imap over ssh
(for exmaple) is a bigger question and probably requires more
discussion/debate. Personally, I would agree this is functionality
which  should not actually be part of VM. My rationale is it is
something you can easily do outside i.e. setup the tunnel yourself and
it represents functionality that is broader than email. The reality is
we barely have sufficient resources to support core mail related
functionality and need to focus there.

At the same time, either we should strip out this functionality and
avoid future confusion or leave it in and be willing to accept patches
that improve the functionality.  If it is to be removed, we probably
should move its functionality into non-core so that there is no
confusion regarding its status.

Tim

--
Tim Cross