Re: [VM] Announcement: VM 8.2.0b (beta-testing) release

> I have applied the patch.

Thank you.

> What about the Makefiles in other subdirectories?  Don't they need
> to be updated too?

So far, I haven't noticed any other problems with installation paths.

One thing that I just stumbled upon: lisp/Makefile.in uses infodir but
all other Makefiles use info_dir. The former is defined by autoconf,
the latter is explicitly assigned in configure.ac. Probably it should
be changed to info_dir everywhere.

> Do we still need datadir and datarootdir in the Makefiles now?

Right, they are not needed any more. Also it looks like top_srcdir can
be removed everywhere, except for the top level Makefile. I can
prepare a patch tomorrow.

> Also, the INSTALL file claims that the documentation will be
> installed in ${prefix}/share/doc/vm-X.Y.Z. But, I don't see the
> -X.Y.Z part being generated at the moment.

So the INSTALL file should be updated?

> The reason for putting NEWS etc. files in two places is to satisfy
> the users that follow Emacs conversions and those that follow Linux
> conventions. We have had plenty of problems in the past with users
> not knowing what has changed because they had no access to the the
> NEWS file.

I'm aware that this is a long standing issue. However, 8.1.1 didn't
install these files at all, and now 8.2.0b installs them twice. ;-)

>> What do you think about installing them in docdir only, but with
>> docdir being equal to etcdir by default (as it's the case for
>> XEmacs already)? That way, distros could change the default as
>> needed (according to their policy), without installing these files
>> twice.

Cheers,
Ulrich