Re: [Question #221128]: Recreating summary messages too verbose

Question #221128 on VM changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/vm/+question/221128

Robert. D Houk gave more information on the question:
OK, after delving more deeply into things, I believe that the Recreating summary
should be a maximum of level 8 if not level 9.

I base this on the relative usefullness of "Recreating summary" vs much more useful
messages such as:

1)  "9 messages deleted" ("k"ill thread of messages) at level 5 (vm-
kill-subject in vm-delete.el)

2)  "Checking for new mail..." (both 'vm' command at level 6 and vm-imap-folder-check-mail
      at level 6 in vm-imap.el)

3)  "Retrieving message <n> (of <m>)... " at level 7 in vm-imap-report-retrievel-status
      in vm-imap.el

This could be viewed as a regression from vm 7.19, as 7.19 would report <n> messages
deleted and NOT overwrite the message immediately as is the case in 8.2.0b.

If you make it ("Recreating summary") level 8, then you will pretty much maintain today's
default behavior (since default vm-verbosity is 8), and by the user (e.g,. "me") setting
vm-verbosity to 7, I get all the useful messages (my interpretation of "useful"), and not
the annoying (to me) "Recreating summary" overwriting more useful messages on EVERY
"d"elete and "k"ill (and a bunch of other) command(s).

>From my point of view, case 3 above (individual message retrieval summary) is the most
important, as it is the message that announces "stalled" when the IMAP server buries its
head in the sand (happens a lot here).

I hope this all makes sense to you.

-RDH

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of VM
development team, which is an answer contact for VM.