[Question #242335]: Feature request: Add suffix option to vm-locate-executable-file

New question #242335 on VM:
https://answers.launchpad.net/vm/+question/242335

When using vm/emacs under Windows, I find that a lot of binary executables do not get automagically set since the executable files end in ".exe" -- Note I don't use cygwin Emacs but rather ntEmacs.
Specifically, vm-locate-executable-file doesn't handle the possibility that the executable ends in a suffix.

Note that locate-file (which is called by vm-locate-executable-file) does have the ability to search for the file +/- a list of potential suffixes.

Currently, mv vm startup code tests if I am on a Windows machine and if so then manually sets the binary location for a whole slew of executables referenced by VM (e.g., base64-decode, base64-encode, qp-decode, qp-encode, iconvert, etc.)

It would be nice to add to vm-locate executables-file the ability to also search an (optional)  list of suffixes.

Specifically, one could
1. Add an optional argument 'suffixes' to vm-locate-executable-file to allow for suffixes (similar to 'locate-file')

2. Create a variable vm-executable-file-suffixes which is either nil or a list of default suffixes to append to file name when searching.

The logic for vm-locate-executable-file  would be as follows:
  a] If SUFFIXES is nil and vm-executable-file-suffixes is nil, then behavior is as before
 b] If SUFFIXES is nil, but vm-executable-file-suffixes is non-nil than pass vm-executable-file-suffixes to 'locate-file'
 c] Iff SUFFIXES is non-nil, then pass SUFFIXES to vm-executable-file-suffixes

Any interest in adding such functionality to the code?

Thanks

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of VM
development team, which is an answer contact for VM.