vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: Lucid vm-builder command line changes?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:47:59PM -0500, John Stoffel wrote:
>> -o is probably broken.
> It's not being accepted.  Not sure it's *needed* though.  Dunno, I
> find the docs for vmbuilder to be lacking.  There's no obvious way to
> figure out what the switches there are to use.  I did look at the HTML
> docs you produce for the API, but that doesn't help much.

Documentation is on my TODO. It's not high, but it's there. :)

>> --tmpfs is broken.
> Bummers.  Anything I can do to fix this?  I don't know beans about
> python programming, but I've been doing perl for years and years.  I
> can cope if need be.

Not really. I'm working on it. I just need to find a few free hours.

>> --raw with --part is probably broken.
>> --firstboot is broken.
> I'd be happy to test out new versions for you!  I've got a nice helper
> script which lets me build play VMs quickly.

Sounds great. I should post to this list whenever I do releases.

> Sure, I understand.  My wrapper script is called (and checks for) by
> sudo/root privs.  I'd suggest that vmbuilder do the same thing.  Check
> for UID or EUID being root (0) and bailing otherwise with a nice
> message.

It used to. The code is still there, I think it was just disabled for
testing purposes. I'll add that to my todo.

>>> Does anyone have a document listing the changes or upgrade process
>>> to be used between Karmic and Lucid versions of vmbuilder?  I've
>>> been looking around, but not having any success on this.
>> I hope, by the time of release, nothing will have changed Soren>
>> incompatibly since Karmic.
> Excellent!  I'm happy to help with testing.  Please let me know what I
> can do.

Just keep doing what you've been doing so far. I appreciate your help.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer