vmbuilder team mailing list archive

Re: [Merge] lp:~chad.smith/vmbuilder/jenkins_kvm_azure_netplan_hotplug into lp:vmbuilder

A few things:

1) netplan is the default on Artful too. I think your detection code is right, but your commit message is potentially wrong?

2) If I understand cloud-init and netplan correctly, couldn't you achieve the same effect by just adding this as /etc/netplan/99-azure-hotplug.yaml? Then you could drop ephemeral_eth.sh entirely on Artful and Bionic.

network:
....version: 2
....ethernets:
........ephemeral:
............dhcp4: true
................driver: hv_netvsc
............optional: true

3) Looking at the code itself, you should probably use /run/netplan for ephemeral files, rather than /etc/netplan. That also solves your cleanup problem.

4) And it's worth knowing that netplan apply will look for network devices that are 'down' and them from their drivers and rebind them. With your approach, netplan apply will be run for each extra device, so if there are 4 extra devices, the first one configured won't be replugged, the second will be replugged once, the third will be replugged twice and so on. This *probably* isn't problematic, but it makes me nervous, especially doing it in rapid succession.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~chad.smith/vmbuilder/jenkins_kvm_azure_netplan_hotplug/+merge/347174
Your team VMBuilder is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~chad.smith/vmbuilder/jenkins_kvm_azure_netplan_hotplug into lp:vmbuilder.