weather-indicator-team team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #209490]: Forecast cannot be fetched. Connection cannot be established. Weather Indicator Questions Question #207013Forecast cannot be fetched. Connection cannot be established.

Question #209490 on Weather Indicator changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/weather-indicator/+question/209490

Gene Bray posted a new comment:
Joshua, found you post of 2013-4-9 indicating a fix to the weather
forecast problem caused by Google shutting down it weather api/portal.
Installed it and it works from the Ubuntu 12.04 desktop (i386) on my
computer.  Starting from the command line I did get one warning:

gbray@C2U:~$ indicator-weather
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/constants.py:24: Warning: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed  import gobject._gobject

First, thank you for the fix.  Secondly, not a python programmer but
will download and look at the code.  Was willing to try and help but my
programming skills have aged a lot after 40+ years of not using them
much.  (Doubt there is much Cobol, Fortran IV or V, or IBM 360 Assembly
Programming going on now days.  Seems that replacing Google with NOAA or
one of the other entities that provides weather and forecast info would
be helpful for the project.  My stumble around on my own to see if I can
do anything productive to help.

Third,  before finding your post, I was going to ask why no fix?  Is/was
there a problem with using Yahoo for forecast weather?  Or, just a lack
of resources/time to fix the issue? If any of these questions are still
pertainent I would appreciate your answer.

I can be reached at genebray@xxxxxxxxxxx for a reply directly to me, if
you prefer that.

Again thanks for the fix.  I have missed the forecast information ever
since Google stopped their service.

gene

Weather Indicator Team, which is an answer contact for Weather
Indicator.