Re: [Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/reducing-paths into lp:widelands

> I think some linux distributions (i.e. debian) need to
> have locales in another directory as data.

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't read the whole packagers guide nor am I familiar with the policies and rules for inclusion of packages. However, I can comment a bit on what I observe and that is that the latest Widelands package in Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/other derivatives is the following https://packages.debian.org/sid/widelands-data (more specifically the -data package).
If we look at the list of files contained in this (https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/widelands-data/filelist), we find
/usr/share/games/widelands/locale/
which seems to be just a subdirectory of /usr/share/games/widelands.

(It should be noted that for some packages, typically large ones such as desktop environments, translations are usually split out into language packs. So if you want a translated version, you install that package along with the program it self, to get the translations for your language without spending the extra disk space/bandwith for all the other translations. I doubt Widelands is big enough or will have enough strings/translations for this to make sense.)

Having thought a bit about it, I wonder about the original use case for having localedir separately in the first place. Presumably the idea is to substitute the original translations with your own, which might be seen as more tricky when you need to substitute the entire data directory. Still, I don't know enough about the original use case to tell whether people do this on occasion and whether it is a problem in practice.
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/reducing-paths/+merge/239645
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/reducing-paths into lp:widelands.