Re: [Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/full_texture_atlas into lp:widelands

[franku's concern about need for this change]
I play Widelands in fullscreen at 3440 x 1440. At that resolution, the game needs 90% of the single CPU it uses just to draw the screen. I want to add zooming in and out into Widelands, but that needs that performance even worse. On my wifes computer, Widelands noticeable stutters whenever the game loads a graphic from disk. I have been working on these performance improvements for over a year now - I think they are very important and I want to have them in build 19.

I understand your concerns about feature freeze and new bugs, but this is really important to me.

[background creation of texture atlas]
You want the mouse cursor in the texture atlas though, so that does not really work out. Also background generation is tricky business - what if some users jumps quickly through the menus and you need the atlas before you are ready. I'd rather not deal with these headaches.

[hash on the atlas]
You'd need to remember the hashes somewhere (in the lua file probably) and traverse all widelands data directories for all pictures and stat them on every game start - which is pretty slow already. Not as slow as building the cache, but probably ten seconds or so on a non Solid state disk. It would be an alternative to consider if the build_info() is too coarse grained.

> I use an extra datadir folder which contains some special images and that i use for testing purposes. What happens to the --datadir option when this get merged? Could i further use it for testing images?

Yes, but if you change an image, you'd need to manually run rm -rf ~/.widelands/cache, otherwise your new images would not be used.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/full_texture_atlas/+merge/281909
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/full_texture_atlas into lp:widelands.