Re: [Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands-website/wlwebsite_docker into lp:widelands-website

I got a failure on make init:

django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: settings.DATABASES is improperly configured. Please supply the ENGINE value. Check settings documentation for more details.
make: *** [Makefile:32: init] Fehler 1

I am unsure about the benefits:

> 1) get rid of installing dependencies (like the python modules)
> on dev machines.
Instead one has to install other things (docker itself, docker-files).

> 2) make sure all devs have always the exactly same set of python
> modules and python version,
Good point. On the other side: If one is using a more up to date version we are able to find a trap early, before deploying.

> 3) dev workflows can use external tools (like wl_map_info) also
> on their dev machine, i.e. less differences between production and dev,
Also a good point. On the other side a website dev should have current trunk from widelands somewhere on his disk, to develop the encyclopedia or the documentation. So it should be possible to give also access to wl_map_info.

> 4) quicker setup for new devs.
I don't know. The whole setup relies on docker which basics have to be understood. From my point of view having our README is much clearer and cleaner than reading and executing the docker example.  Using docker will hide some of the installation process to a new dev which could lead into other questions.

Also running docker means each docker-file has some access to the root file system. The 'make init' command produce *.pyc files owned by the root user here.

Regarding mysql, and database in general:
The main Problem for a new dev is that he has no data. All the forum and wiki is empty. For testing purposes a dev has to spend some time to get such data.
I had worked on a text file regarding setting up and maintain a mysql database containing some hints on using utf8, collation, backup and so on. Maybe this is the better way to go?

All this installations takes round about 2 GB of disk space. Can't say why, but i don't like that...

I think this proposal is meant to get more developers for the webpage, but i don't believe it would help here because the process is as 'complicated' as using the README. Maybe i am wrong...
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands-website/wlwebsite_docker/+merge/317036
Your team Widelands Developers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~widelands-dev/widelands-website/wlwebsite_docker into lp:widelands-website.