[Merge] lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/gcc7 into lp:widelands

The proposal to merge lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/gcc7 into lp:widelands has been updated.

Description changed to:

Hello,

You may have found this merge proposal while looking for a fix for the GCC7 build failure. This particular patch targets the development version, but fear not, we have also backported it for build19! You can find that version of the patch here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/b19/revision/8149
See also the complete build19 branch as we've also updated the en_GB translation since the original build 19 shipped with a few translation mistakes: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/b19.

So if you are a package maintainer or just trying to get Widelands build19 to build with GCC7, the patch above should get things working again :)

Original description:

(Note: at the moment this is mainly for testing, not merging. I think branches need a merge proposal in order to find build results from bunnybot, right?)

I don't remember the details, but we didn't add GCC7 in the last round of compiler updates due to some issue. Since then, Ubuntu has done a rebuild of the whole archive with GCC7 [1], and Widelands was among the build failures [2]. GCC 7.1 has now been officially released [3], so it is likely only a question of time before it becomes the default compiler on a lot of systems.

I pushed this branch now to check if we still have a build failure in the development version and if we do, it should naturally be fixed. It isn't unlikely that someone will look for a similar patch for build19 too in the future, so we should probably mark it in such a way that it is easily findable. Could save people some time and duplicated work, assuming the code hasn't changed too much in the meantime. For instance, distros tend to treat build failures pretty seriously since if they cannot build the package it becomes impossible to ship patches or updates to it so they will want to keep build19 buildable.

[1] more details on https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2017-March/039749.html
[2] http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/rebuilds/test-rebuild-20170322.1-gcc7-zesty.html
[3] https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-7/

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/gcc7/+merge/323576
--
Your team Widelands Developers is subscribed to branch lp:~widelands-dev/widelands/gcc7.