wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

Development Update: First Steps

This document (see attachment) has been a bit overload, and alas is a
bit incomplete. But it outlines some of the linguistics, graphical and
logical parts of Wintermute we can start laying down now.

== LINGUISTICS ==
NOTE: It's recommended that you read the Linguistics section in the
attached PDF before continuing.

For those who are really interested in working now; the linguistics
module, Panlingua, needs a bit of help. The framework is laid down, but
in order to allow Wintermute to efficiently learn a language, we of
course have to teach it a few.

The panlingua-en module is one that I'm personally working on, but if
you wish to open your own specific module, feel free to branch (code's
on Launchpad) and begin working on your language model. The directory
that contains your files should be named 'panlingua-<LANGCODE>' where
<LANGCODE> is the first two letters of a locale (we're avoiding the use
of multiple language models that happen to be the same).

Aside from working on language-specific models, Panlingua needs a better
internal hash function. The hash function is used to convert symbols
(ie: 'word' to 0x3029d, 'airplanes' to 0x03942). This method has to be
fast and generate unique integers for any and every word. Of course,
mathematically, there's a chance that this may not be successful, but
workarounds can be made.

== DATABASE & NEURAL NETWORKS ==
Currently, there's ample amounts of information that we can mine into
Wintermute. The only thing is; it'd be better if ALL information was in
a particular format that we could just feed to Wintermute. This comes in
with the idea of using ontologically formatted data from sites like
DBPedia and perhaps Open Mind Common Sense's repositories to load up
information for Wintermute. Discussion about an unified data format for
Wintermute, how it can be parsed and easily plugged into Wintermute.

Primarily, this information will be fed into the NN of Wintermute so
that it can create the semantic relations and perhaps render a means for
an advanced regex system to immediately pull information from.

== CLOSING WORDS ==
I thank everyone who has joined and is willing to help lay down the
initial foundation of what would be perhaps the icon of open source
technology, if not technology as a whole.

For any questions, suggestions or concerns; please e-mail back this
mailing list or come to the IRC chatroom ##wintermute at
irc.freenode.net to engage in discussion.
- --
*Jacky Alcine*
Blog <http://jdevelopthis.blogspot.com>
Wintermute Blog <http://wintermuteai.wordpress.com>