wintermute-devel team mailing list archive

[info] We Are ALIVE! (Believe it or Not)

I'm sorry all for being such a quiet lad over the last month or so, but I
hope that this e-mail will enlighten everyone with the current situation
that (from the developer's POV) the Institute's currently undergoing.

*HEADLINES*

   1. Due to the urgency of the SpeechControl project, Wintermute's
   previous March release will not be a public release, but rather a
   development release. It will have a few less features (i.e: concrete UI
   interface, AngelNet) but it will be functional (border-line).
   2. SpeechControl's expected first release will be on the 21st of March
   (a Wednesday) and provide the features as listed on its roadmap on the
   Institute's Wiki (http://www.thesii.org/wiki/SpeechControl/Roadmap/0.1).

Wintermute is *still being actively worked on*, despite the potential
"dead" look it might be giving. I'm actually working on an IRC plug-in (a
backend to* yet another *plugin) to allow us to communicate with Wintermute
as if we were in front of the client itself. Information regarding this
plug-in can be found in the *plugins* repository on GitHub (
https://www.github.com/wntr/plugins).

So yeah, I invite all developers to actually ask what they can do here on
this mailing list (don't e-mail me directly!) so that we can get the ball
rolling. Just to make life easy, check out
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/speechcontrol to see what bugs are in need of
closing. We'll be using bugs as our means of task management until we get
Redmine up and running on the Institute's server (who's good with Ruby?).

*SKILLS*
If you're going to recommend someone to do a job here, they'll need
something from the goody bag below:

   - Experience with Qt (in either Python or C++)
   - Flexible with some sort of AI tech (doesn't have to be a pro, they
   will become one over time)
   - Able to commit at least an hour a day four times a week to the
   assigned task/project they've chosen or have received.

*TASKS*
Here's a run-down of some tasks we currently have:

*SpeechControl*

   - Bug #916565 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/speechcontrol/+bug/916565)

*Wintermute*

   - Bug #864318 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/864318)
   - Bug #896768 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/896768)
   [requires SpeechControl API]
   - Bug #911367 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/911367)
   - Bug #897991 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/897991)
   - Bug #897668 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/897668) very
   big bug.

Regardless or not you being a developer, I recommend tagging these bugs as
affecting you so we can spark some more activity from other members on
Launchpad as well (to get those community juices flowing). Recommend people
you know from other projects to come and take a peek. For example, by
visiting https://bugs.launchpad.net/wintermute/+bug/897991/+affectsmetooyou
increase the 'heat' of a bug (the one I'm presently working on, the
Messaging API as well as a few other parts).

*Please do what YOU can to help the development of these projects going.*
*We ARE the Synthetic Intellect Institute.*
*
*
*One Vision. One Purpose. The SII.*