Re: π=2 ?! (Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys)

Hi Vaclav,

Just to say to be carefull with formula in Hentz's thesis: the idea was to use as inputs for contact properties the Young modulus and Poisson ratio that we want to obtain macroscopically for the granular assembly. The "funny term" are use to compute kn and ks with respect to these macroscopic Young modulus and Poisson ratio (The objective was to avoid a calibration processus). But, actually it doesn't work, this computation with formula (**) of kn and ks doesn't allow to obtain, during a triaxial compression for instance, the values of young modulus and poisson ratio that we expected (or at least if works only for a given size distribution at a given density for a given confining pressure).

In my opinion, the only important point is to compute kn and ks such as scale effects are avoided, and I think it is well done in the current formula (*) in Yade.

Best,

 Luc

Václav Šmilauer a écrit :
I am having doubts about correctness of formulas in
Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys (I didn't use that for simulations, but
I am trying to relate critical timestep based on kn and p-wave in yade)

In p2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys:63

Real Kn = 2*Ea*Da*Eb*Db/(Ea*Da+Eb*Db);

which is HarmonicMean(Ea*Da,Eb*Db) (Da and Db are radii r₁, r₂); if
Da==Db && Ea==Eb, it reduces to

	Ea*Da. (*)

I am having Hentz's thesis at hand, which describes algorithms which I
think should be the same. Kn reads like this for Hentz (eq 4.19, pg. 86)
(the funny term to calibrate Poisson's ratio contains fixed-value
coefficients α, β, γ; for average Poisson's ratio 0.25, its value is
1.0):

	kn=EA/d₀ * funny_term_equal_to_1.0,

where E=average young's modulus, A=equivalent cross-section of
interaction (which Hentz defines as π*min(r₁,r₂)²), d₀=initial (current)
distance of spheres r₁+r₂. Let's try to do something with that, assuming
r₁=r₂=r for now:

	kn=E*A/d₀=E(πr²)/(r+r)=Erπ/2, (**)

which leads me to think, comparing (*) and (**) that in Yade π/2=1,
wherefore π=2. No kidding.

It also means that Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys gives stiffness that
is 1.57× smaller than one used by Hentz.

?!