Re: [Wikia Support Request #47568] Redirecting of yade.wikia.com

Thank you for your reply

> I realize that this is a rather specific wiki, but we are happy for the
> site to remain in place until we see whether there is interest from
> others in using and maintaining it.

There has been at least one edit there (during last year) that should
be done on new wiki.  The danger is not big, but this could fragment
the community or at least confuse people.

Can you, please, tell me if it is possible for you to make the
redirect?

Or if rather I should modify every page there, so that it points to
the new wiki?

I am very sorry that it boils down to simple redirection. On the
opposite side I must tell you that my other wiki, about sawfish
window manager, sawfish.wikia.com is really flourishing, and we are
very grateful for being able to host it there.

best regards
Janek Kozicki

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Wikia Community Support
<community@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for contacting Wikia.
>
> We don't usually delete wikis once they have been created. Wikis are
> community-owned projects, and a wiki you no longer want can wait for
> someone else to come along and adopt it.
>

> I'm sorry you haven't been happy at Wikia.  You may be interested to
> know that we are developing an ad-free pay-wiki program, which would
> give you the benefits of supported hosting from Wikia, without the site
> ads.  If you would like to know more about this option, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- sannse
>
> Lisa "sannse" Carter
> Wikia Community and Technical Team
> * Find wiki help guides at http://help.wikia.com *
>

>> From: Janek Kozicki <cosurgi@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM
>> Subject: Redirecting of yade.wikia.com
>> To: Angela <beesley@xxxxxxxxx>, yade-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I own the yade.wikia.com wiki, and we have finished moving away from
>> wikia.com (sorry). Our university has set up a dedicated server, so
>> that we can host whole wiki without advertisements. The new address
>> of our wiki is
>>
>>  https://yade-dem.org
>>
>> Whole content of http://yade.wikia.com is already mirrored on our
>> server. Could you please modify the .htaccess file on
>> http://yade.wikia.com so that it will redirect to our new website?
>>
>> .htaccess file
>>
>>  RedirectMatch 301 /(.*) https://yade-dem.org
>>
>> This would tell everyone, including google, that the page has
>> permanently moved.
>>
>> I would be really grateful if you could do that.
>> --
>> # Janek Kozicki                              http://janek.kozicki.pl/

Janek Kozicki