Re: [yade-dev] Trouble with use of CohesiveFrictionalPM in new version

Hi Luc,

1- CohesiveFrictionalPM seems to work well when it is used in basic simulations (say two elements, sphere/sphere or sphere/box) and without the moment law (the moment law produces the same "explosive behaviour" when used with CohesiveFrictionalContactLaw, so it is probably due to some problems with quaternion computation in Eigen as it worked well with wm3... Unless there was something wrong with wm3...)

Did you check the current trunk compiled with wm3? Reading your mail, I still don't know if it is related to eigen or not.

The first thing I have noticed is that, if the timestep is fixed with O.dt=-0.2*utils.PWaveTimeStep() (see the - before 0.2*utils.PWaveTimeStep()), GlobalStiffnessTimeStepper() does not update the timestep for CohesiveFrictionalPM (it does for CohesiveFrictionalContactLaw), and, the walls just go through the assembly.

I don't see why timestepper behaves differently with different contact laws. This is weird.

The only (!!!!) difference between the two laws is that, one uses the penetration depth as the interacting distance, whereas the other initializes the interacting distance to the penetration depth when an interaction is detected, and I saw this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/yade/+bug/399963. Do you think it could be related?

I don't think so. It would not explain how you got correct results before.