Google Summer of Code 2011

Hi there,

is anyone interested in paid ($3500 IIRC) work on Yade during the summer? This should especially concern PhD students (who work over the summer anyway) with a topic that could be judged generally useful for all other users of Yade and for development of the project. http://www.google-melange.com/ is the homepage, Yade people should apply (I and probably my former boss would be probably formal supervisors of the project) at the beginning of March, and students later. It is possible that the project does not get through selections.

Are there some topics that you would like to see, for yourself or someone else? Note that also people from outside Yade community can apply, but it will be upt to the mentors to choose suitable candidates.

I have a few topics in mind. All of those are in the first place question of a good conceptual design, and then of robust implementation and good documentation.

1. integration with oofem.org (or other FEM code; I mention this specifically for Jan who might be interested), to have a decent and flexible FEM interface. That would be for sure full-time work for 3 months which would be very useful.

2. MPI subdomains and parallelization; highly challenging, breaking all the rest of the code, for real geeks.

3. General composed particles and their interactions (such as triangulated surfaces with continuous contacts accross triangles).

(other good ideas welcome)

Would someone be _seriously_ interested? If so, I will consider applying for mentorship, otherwise we just let it go.

Cheers, v.

Follow ups