Re: weak/strong contacts

,
> Say that you have cohesion between particles, then if you project the
> normal contact force along the normal to the plane you can see that
> the sign of the force could be either negative or positive (depending
> also on the convention). Bruno, what is your opinion?

I didn't want to reply because I don't really understand what the
"strongness" of a contact is. You could look into papers of researchers
promoting this concept and use the same definition as them. Strongness
of forces has been defined for cohesionless packings initialy IIRC, but
it has probably been extended to cohesive particles since then. You
could find examples in the litterature and see if they use norms of
forces or algebraïc values.
In the later case, I guess they would ignore the shear part. Radjaï
published a lot on this subject I think.