Re: Some update in example scripts and yade features

Hi Klaus, and all  (notes for François and Christian below)
> I just randomly tried a few example scripts and some needed an update. There
> is still more to update:
> - I think we should change all randomDense-packs to returnSpherePack=True in
> order to avoid the warning and troubles in the future especially for new
> users. If you agree I am happy to change it.
Since I don't know how randomDense works, I kindof agree if nobody
object. You are probably right!

> - some scripts are not working, I didn't try all of them but for example
> example/grids/Simple_Grid_Falling.py is not working.
François, could you please have a look?

> - I think it would be nice to group the scripts according to features
Yes. This is more or less the idea already, but there is always place
for improvement on this aspect.
The folders gts-horse, clumps, FluidCouplingPFV,
jointedCohesiveFrictionalPM, ... are along this line but they don't all
fit in this framework.

> @Bruno: As you mentioned to me I think it would be good to introduce a section
> "Yade features" on yade's main page. An example of subsections could be:
> - periodic boundary
> - clumps
> - material processing
> - granular flow
> - grids and meshes
> - rock joints
> - fluid-solid coupling
> - general features
> - ...
Yes, though "granular flow" for instance is an application more than a
feature.
If we stick to features, I see at least (I'm sure I forget some)
A- GUI and 3D display
A- periodic BC
A/B?- clumps
B- grids and meshes
A/B?- rock joints
B- fluid-solid couplings (including capillary model and DEM-PFV model)
A- micro-stress/micro-strain analysis (or a more general
"post-processing" feature)

There are two kind of items here.
(A) Some of them can be just links to existing sections of the doc
(thanks to Vaclav for the most part): periodic BC [1],
micro-stress/micro-strain [2], 3D display & video  [3], clumps [4]). It
makes the feature more visible without big effort.
(B) Others really need to add content, with possibly dedicated *.rst
files. This is the case of the DEM-PFV coupling. And I plan to do it.

For (A), features/subsections can be just a title linking to the
corresponding section. It makes the feature more visible without big effort.
For (B) there is some work to do. I'm planning this already for the PFV
model. For other things, the question is who can write something. For
grids and meshes, you and François Kneib may contribute I think.
For Clumps, it seems the recent improvements by Christian are not
mentioned in [4]. Could you please have a look Christian?

There are also awesome features that I don't know how to sort (e.g.
yade.utils.plotNumInteractionsHistogram). This is maybe why you suggest
"general features", but then where to point to? It is spread everywhere
in the documentation.

> The subsections could then include videos and screenshots (maybe we would need
> to at one wiki page for each feature). Examples could then be organised
> accordingly.
>
> Any comments?
Yes, there are a few pages like this in the wiki [5,6] but the more we
have in the main website the better, I think. At least we should point
to [5,6] in the home page.
And any further organization of the examples will be welcome, of course. :)

Cheers.

Bruno

[1] https://yade-dem.org/doc/formulation.html#periodic-boundary-conditions
[2]