From: Yade-dev <yade-dev-bounces+jerome.duriez=ucalgary.ca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: July-28-16 11:06 AM
To: yade-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Yade-dev] TriaxialStressController.externalWork sign

XLatexIt! run report...

*** Found expression $u$
*** Found expression $T$
*** Found expression $ \int_{\partial \Omega} \boldmath T \cdot  \bm u ds$
Image was already generated

I don't think it makes much sense to speak of whether it is negative or positive.

"negativ when the boundaries actually provide energy to the sample", you mean when the boundaries actually provide a positive energy to the sample?

Since if it provides a negative energy then the function will return a positive value. ;)

I would suggest plain mathematical definition:

"Mechanical work associated to the boundary conditions, i.e. [$               \int_{\partial \Omega} \boldmath T \cdot  \bm u ds$]  with [$T$]  the surface traction and [$u$]  the displacement at the boundary."

There is no strong argument to multiply such a straight definition by -1 in my view.

Bruno