Re: Potential Blocks and Potential Particles - brief analysis of the Object Oriented C++ source code

Hi,

Janek thanks for the in-depth remarks on the PB (PotentialBlock) & PP (PotentialParticle) codes. It will be very useful to have a discussion on the matter and try to improve them.

Regarding the compilation warnings that stem from unused variables, I can help suppress them by commenting out the unused variables, if Chia can verify with me that he does not intend to use any them in the near future. For the other warnings, I will track them inside the code and try to suppress them as well. I will let you know if I find any difficulties.

Personally, I believe that we could unify some classes of the PB & PP, since a part of the code is overlapping; although some parts of the codes are completely different. Some comments on this -I see Chia just discussed some of these matters earlier today-. (Chia please correct me if I have misinterpreted something):

  *   The distinction between the two codes, conceptually, is that the PotentialBlocks have flat faces with no curvature, while the PotentialParticles can have curved faces and look like "cushions" (I liked that reference!). This curvature of the latter is controlled by the parameters "k" and "R" in the PotentialParticle shape class.

Also, the PotentialBlocks code has been developed to incorporate some more parameters and to be compatible with the BlockGen code, in which a PotentialBlock can be subdivided to more blocks, by intersecting the particle with discontinuity planes.

You will find in the source code that "R" is used in some parts of the PB code as well, but as a reference length unit and not as the "radius of a shadow particle", as it is in the PP class. So, in a case where the PB and PP are unified, one should choose "k=0", in order to get a particle with flat faces (like the PB) or "k>0", in order to get a particle with curved faces (like the PP). I should clarify, that when using the PB code, even if a non-zero value is given for "k", it is not used; the faces remain flat. I guess it just stayed in the code, to maintain some architectural similarity between the PB & PP classes.

  *   The most important distinction between the PB and PP codes from a programming standpoint is the contact detection algorithms used, as, in the former contact is established using linear programming (and CLP software), while in the latter contact is established using conical optimisation (either with MOSEK or Chia's second order code).

So, if we were to merge the Shape (PotentialBlock & PotentialParticle), Bound (PotentialBlock2AABB & PotentialParticle2AABB), a distinction could be made regarding the IPhys functor, so that, when k=0 (PB particles) we use the Ig2_PB_PB_ScGeom & Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_KnKsPBPhys functors, while if k>0 (curved faces), we use the Ig2_PP_PP_ScGeom & Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_KnKsPhys functors, respectivelly. As Chia said, I'm not sure we can unify the IGeom functors, as they were developed under different conceptions; though, new ideas are welcome :) .

I am interested to improve these codes, since I currently use the PotentialBlock class for my PhD. I don't think that I have the technical knowledge to apply these changes by myself. Maybe we can achieve this with some periodic consulting from Chia and some help from you Janek? Send me an email if you have the time to assist on this, I'm happy to discuss.

Chia and Janek, do you think it would be of value to merge just part of the codes, i.e. only the Shape and Bound classes for now, to simplify things?

  *   Regarding the the "heat-capacity" parameter, I'm afraid I can't help much, as I am not familiar with the topic.

These are some thoughts on my part. I'm very interested to hear more from you Janek, as you know YADE through and through and from Chia, as he is the original developer of all this work and I believe he can give us a better understanding of the conceptual design of the codes and if he thinks we should merge them.

I will go through with removing the warnings during the next days & I will also be sending a piece of documentation in .rst format regarding these codes soon.

Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,

Vasileios

<https://www.students.ncl.ac.uk/vangelidakis2/>