Re: Request for sudoDEM+third party source code

We have met Jidong Zhao, the sudoDEM co-author, at the last yade
workshop. Perhaps we should ask him directly?

Bruno Chareyre said:     (by the date of Thu, 27 Feb 2020 15:52:08 +0100)

> Dear Shiewei,
> I was trying to use and to check something in the source code of sudoDEM3D
> today.
> However, I found that the program was distributed only in the form of
> binary code. Did I miss something?
> If not, could you please send me (or provide a link to download same
> versions of) the source codes that were used to generate the binary objects
> available as tarballs for sudoDEM3D at [1]
> <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Shiwei_Zhao3/project/SudoDEM-a-discrete-element-code-for-non-spherical-particles/attachment/5d37fd89cfe4a7968db8a305/AS:784079259701258@1563950471928/download/SudoDEM3D-1.3.6.rc1.tar.xz?context=ProjectUpdatesLog>
> and for the third party libraries at [2]
> <https://zenodo.org/record/2683766#.XlfQl-F7nRZ>?
>
> I believe sudoDEM is a great achievement and I'm glad that yade was helpful
> for that work.
> I also think it is very important to comply to the terms and conditions of
> yade's license (GPL2), and I feel annoyed that sudoDEM apparently doesn't.
> In fact, it certainly also breaks the terms and conditions of some third
> party libraries.
>
> I'm reproducing below relevant subsets of yade's license (GPL2), they speak
> for themselves I think. Please note that mentioning GPL3 on your website is
> irrelevant since the GPL3 applies to a source code only, not to a binary
> code.
> Licensing questions are not always easy, if you are unsure what is
> permitted please contact yade-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, we will do our best
> to advise.
> If you are "in the process of" making sources available, then maybe just
> don't distribute binaries meanwhile. In any case, make sure you can always
> provide the exact same sources you use for generating each *.so you
> distribute.
> The easiest (though not mandatory) way to do so, by far, is to
> systematically give links to both binaries and sources for each version. In
> any case, you must provide license in full, and a written notice on how to
> get source codes if you don't provide a link to it.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Bruno Chareyre
>
> ___
>
> Yade's license says:
>
> Yade's license says:
>   0.  "work based on the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work
>   1. You may copy and distribute [...] provided that you
> conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
> copyright notice
>   2. You may modify your copy [...] and distribute such modifications
> under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
> [...]

Janek Kozicki, PhD. DSc. Arch. Assoc. Prof.
Gdańsk University of Technology
Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics
Department of Theoretical Physics and Quantum Information
--
http://yade-dem.org/
http://pg.edu.pl/jkozicki (click English flag on top right)