Re: Error compiling

fabio.gabrieli@xxxxxxxx said:     (by the date of Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:49:07 +0300 (EAT))

> Hello,
>
> I am a new user of YADE and Linux and I'm getting the following error with
> a Slackware-Linux distribution...
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.5/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld:
> crtbeginS.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> make[4]: *** [../../../bin/libyade-lib-loki.so.1.0.0] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory

this is a linker error, it looks like some of your -dev (-devel)
packages are missing (or some PATHs are missong), and linker cannot find
and link with a fairly standard library. You should get the same (or
similar) error if you try to compile any other program. Find something
small, and try to compile it. I don't know slackware (I used it only 6
months, and it was 8 years ago), so you should ask someone who is
familiar with slackware.

Also I advise you to not compile and run yade as root. If some
application does not belong to the distribution that you are using, it
is always better to install it in home directory, or (optionally) in
/usr/local. In case of yade ~/ (home) is better.