Re: gnome or kde

Luc Sibille said:     (by the date of Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:57:21 +0100)

> So which linux distribution do you advice me to use (kubuntu I think)?

Hi, GNOME or KDE is a choice between desktop look not between linux
distributions :) kubuntu and ubuntu are in fact the same distribution
(ubuntu) which comes with a different default desktop. For instance
you could install ubuntu and switch to kubuntu by just installing a
package called 'kde'.

Linux distribution is something different, for example you have
debian, fedora, suse, ubuntu, red-hat, centos, slackware, .....
Those are different linux distributions. And ALL of them have GNOME
and KDE (and few others, for instance I'm not using neither GNOME or
KDE, but I prefer a rox + sawfish combination).

If you like GNOME - go with it! There is no technical difference at
all between GNOME and KDE. It's only a desktop look. To understand
the issue you could try xubuntu which uses xfce desktop (instead of
GNOME or KDE). The desktop looks totally different! But it's the same
distribution. You could switch to xfce without reinstalling linux,
just by installing the 'xfce4' package.

There is also a distinction between a session manager, a window
manager and a file manager, and they all together form a desktop
environment of your choice :) Usually they come in bundles like this:

                   m  a  n  a  g  e  r
            session       window       file
GNOME       gdm           metacity     nautilus
KDE         kdm           kwin         konqueror
xfce        xfce4-session xfwm4        xffm
----        rox-session   sawfish      rox-filer

The last example is my current configuration. But it has NO NAME,
becuase it's custom I tried every possible session/window/file
manager that are out there and I picked the ones I like most. In fact
I am still occasionally using 'konqueror' and more often 'mc' (mc is
my faviourite file manager in fact, but it is not a graphical one, it
works in a text console, so could be a bit unrelated here).

It's possible to work in graphical linux environment (called
xserer-xorg, or for short "X") without a file manager. For instance
if you run only sawfish on your desktop you will be welcomed by
nothing - no bottom panels, no extra menus to distract, just a
totally empty desktop. Not a single icon. This is useful sometimes also.

Are you completely lost now? Well, you have too much choice. And this
choice is NOT RELATED to yade at all! Use whatever desktop enviroment
you like. Yade will work exactly the same.