Re: voting: what to fix?

> After the voting, people will offfer who does what (presumably
> scratching his itch). I don't think there will be many volunteers for
> writing documentation ;-p

Actually, the doxygen documentation should be the documentation base.
I know Vaclav is writing precise and complete comments in doxygen style
in his classes, I started to do the same in some classes, and if you
browse dox-doc a bit you realize that it works well.
One big advantage of this is that there is not ONE guy to write the
documentation, but many.
Even the average user trying to understand a class can comment a
variable with "/// comment on x...", when he finally found the meaning
of x. Then, after commit, it will update the documentation immediatly.

The conclusions are :
-Encourage all users to comment the code if they can.
-Encourage them to commit to svn (yes if more users commit stuff, there
is a bigger chance of breaking things, but considering that currently
most users are so afraid of commiting something wrong that they commit
nothing, I think self-control is strong enough and we can encourage them
to commit a bit more - and anyway subversion is designed in such a way
that it's impossible to really break Yade).

For all users :

-The simplest "doxygen style" comment in a .hpp file is with 3 slash bars :

class something
{

/// Description of x
int x;

}

and it will result in x being listed, with the comment, in the doxygen
documentation about class "something".

For a more general description of a class, it is almost the same idea :
type the comment just before the declaration of the class, but for a
multiline comment, use " /*! " instead of " /// ", as in clump.hpp below.

/*! Body representing clump (rigid aggregate) composed by other existing
bodies.

    Clump is one of bodies that reside in rootBody->bodies.
    When an existing body is added to ::Clump, it's ::Body::isDynamic
flag........

 */

class Clump: public Body {

}

Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43