dissipating all energy in a packing

Hi,

I need to reach as much as possible equilibrium state, with zero motion.
When using cundall's damping, I get kinetic energy dropping from 1e-3 to
1e-9, but not any lower. I suspect the cause to be the fact that
cundall's damping makes force greater against the current velocity; that
can lead to oscillations at the frequency of 2 iterations, if the force
is such that it reverses the sense of velocity during one interation,
then again etc. I suspect the same will be true for the unbalanced force
measure.

1. Is someone using some sort of viscous damping to avoid this?

2. I could try to make cundall's damping to always diminish the force
iff the coefficient is <0 (.e.g damping==-.3 would mean to always reduce
the force to ×.7), what do you think?

Regards, Vaclav

Follow ups