Re: Contact detection

chiara.modenese@xxxxxxxxx said:     (by the date of Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:55:30 +0100 (CET))

> Hello,
>
> just a quick question on the contact detection method used by Yade
> code. Well, looking at the sweep and prune algorithm actually I see that it
> sorts the min and max coordinates of the bb. My question is: Why do we need to
> extend the sorting to all the bb and not just for instance to bb close to each
> others? Is this contact detection method more efficient in terms of search time
> than other methods based on spatial subdivisions?

Interesting. that would mix grid collider, with SAP collider. Perhaps
worth a try.

We didn't compare with other methods, because we have just this one
currently implemented. Some papers about SAP (see SIGGRAPH papers,
they are cited in our publications about yade) say that it's really
fast :) That's why we used it. But WE don't have a comparison with
others.