Re: Expansion - Triax

Hi Chiara,

1/ The number of steps is not predictable anyway, since the criterion to stop is static equilibrium. 2/ StdDev is not modified by expansion, the PSD is kept unchanged in the process. 3/ I NEVER set radiusMean, which is just a result of the compaction (as final volume would be a result too with external compaction). 4/ At the end, internal friction and elastic modulii are defined in such a way that they are independant on radiusMean (it explains why I don't bother setting the final mean size - the PSD is more important, but it is unchanged).

Bruno

chiara.modenese@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
Hi all,

question on the expansion method used to generate the sample.

Well, actually I see that radius multiplier is calculated at each time step according to the actual meanStress on the walls (except in the case in which sigmaiso <= meanStress where it is fixed at the finalMaxMultiplier value). If the value at each time step changes in this way, I cannot predict the total number of steps that are needed to get the sample and so the initial value of meanRadius (or Volume) and StDev that it is used during the random generation of particles. So, when you use this method, which radiusMean do you actually choose according to a specific (final) particle size distribution?
Thanks a lot,
Cheers, Chiara

Chareyre Bruno
Maître de Conférences

Grenoble INP
Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43