Re: Damping/Porosity

BTW, concerning the porosity I have seen that also changing the value of damping influences its value (togheter with the friction and the PSD). Is it a good idea to play also with damping?

I was expecting such influence, but I never really tested it. How big is the effect compared to friction?

I mean, for sure damping affects the simulation, but this influence could move away from a sensible solution?

Not a problem from my perspective. Isotropic compaction is not the natural process of soils formation anyway. With or without damping doesnt change this statement. As long as the mechanical process of interest is the triaxial shear test (is it your case?), anything can happen before this stage, realistic or not. Not that if you play with damping for the compaction, it would be a good idea to revert it to a constant value for the test itself (perhaps 0.1 or so).

Bruno