Re: Shear force ScGeom

Bruno Chareyre a écrit :

BTW if someone is willing to write down how is the incremental form
derived (i.e. the geometrical reasoning behind it), on a piece of paper
and scan in, I will add it to sphinx documentation of respective classes
in a proper form. It is a shame that such fundamental algorithm is not
properly documented.
I could do that. What is to be explained according to you?
Only two things come to mind :

1) Small rotations can be approximated by cross-products, like in continuum mechanics in small strain. This is not related with the incremental formulation actually. Cross products could be replaced by quaternions without any change in the incremental part.

2) The explanation of the incremental part fit in : "if f_s=ks*u_s, then df_s = ks*du_s".

Bruno
Not that the other ones are much better: NewtonIntegrator etc etc will
need this at one point as well.

True, but it would be a bit a waste of time to type everything as if there were no books explaining all that already. The best book I know is actually PFC "theoretical background" chapter, too bad it is not public. :(

Anybody knows an alternate reference summarizing the classical algorithms of DEM?

There is the book edited by Cambou and Jean "micromécanique des matériaux granulaires, Hermes Science, 2001". But I don't remenber whether they speak about algorithms of DEM and whether it has been translated in English!�

  Luc

Bruno