Time step in non linear formulation

Hi all,

I am having some thoughts about the suitable time step to choose in a
simulation. A the moment in Yade we have two (three) possibilities:

1) PWave time step (could you give me some references on this, please)

2) GSTS

3) A fixed constant value set by the user

Now I am not sure that for the explicit scheme we are using and for the case
of non linear relationship between forces and displacements (that is of my
interest) we end up with the critical time step for the system using one of
the above. Has anyone tested this aspect before? Do you have any references
to suggest me that eventually touch this issue (if any)?
I am not even sure why, if I use the GSTS, I should give the tangential
stiffnesses and not the secant values as input.
In summary, do you see any limit of applicability for the use of GSTS?

Thanks for your comments,
Chiara

Follow ups