Re: Energy dissipation

On the same line : the energy dissipated by Cundall's damping in quasi-satic conditions is negligeable. You find that the work input from boundaries equals more or less plastic+elastic work at contacts (tests with pfc3D, damping~0.2, frictional contacts, ~50k iterations in a triaxial test). It corresponds with the fact that Cundall's damping looks useless in _some_ quasi-static conditions, after Yade simulations and discussions with Gaël, Vincent, and Vaclav.

|Δε|*|σ| sounds straightforward, but with du and df, and non-linear elasticty on both normal and shear, and plasticity for fun, I have no initial guess... Computing the energy dissipated in Law2_ScGeom_FrictPhys_basic is straightforward, for sure.
On the top of that, there is the case when plasticity==true at time "t", and plasticity==false at time "t+dt". You have to decompose |Δε| into plastic and elastic on one timestep. Straightforward again with the *_basic law, but with Hertz? I have no clue yet.

Bruno

Václav Šmilauer a écrit :
Put a "Real plasticWork" in the functor. Compute the energy dissipated at one contact on time increment dt, and include a "plasticWork+= ..." in the if(plasticityCondition) bracket of the functor. Don't ask me how to define plastic work at contact with an elasto-plastic Hertz-based law... ;)

I think since the formulation is incremental, you can use |Δε|*|σ| for
energy dissipated in plastic slip by Δε at plastic stress σ...?

Generally, there is no unified function for dissipation. You could,
though, sum kinetic energy of particles, potential energy (if there is
some potential field), and subtract cummulative external work (boundary
conditions). That should give you pretty good image of system energy
evolution, including damping, plasticity and dissipation by numerical
entropy ;-)

Cheers, v.