Re: Periodic triaxial

On 24 May 2010 14:32, Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Based on my test, ScGeom doesn't work in PB. It is (I think) because it
> needs relative velocity, which is not defined correctly across periods.
> I have a few ideas to solve that though, and some uncommited code (see
> **)...
> It is a pitty that we can't use the same law in periodic and finite BCs at
> the moment. On one hand, there is no sphere-box, hence no TriaxialTest, with
> Dem3DOF (facets and planes for boundaries is bugged for some reasons). On
> the other hand, ScGeom can't be used in periodic BCs.

Oh, so it is not working. Can we do something in this regard? I would really
need to use PBC and if it is not working properly with ScGeom I will have to
change my contact laws (one is HM and another one is not yet ready as I
still am working on it).
Would you have any suggestions how to fix it? Could you say more?

>  1) Are you following Cundall's algorithm?
>>
> I don't know Cundall's papers on this. Any reference?

Cundall was the first one to introduce the periodic boundary in a TT
simulation, the paper in question is:
Cundall PA, "Computer simulations of dense sphere assemblies",
Micromechanics of Granular Materials, Elsevier, 1988, pp. 113-123.
Also Thornton was using the same algorithm for shear triaxial tests, this is
another interesting paper on PB:
Thornton, Antony, "Quasi-static shear deformation of a soft particle
system", Powder Technology, 2009, pp. 179-191.
Anyway Thornton is using the same algorithm as Cundall (his own code is
derived from TRUBALL).

Chiara