Re: Granular ratchetting explained

Thanks for replying again. Yes, my question was: is it right to derive the branch vector from the position vector of the contact point rather than getting it from the radius*normal?
Lets say it is common and not that bad, but not perfect.
-- I remember that you tested the code and said that you were comparing the results with the ones obtained from rigid boundaries conditions. Have you done those tests avoiding ratcheting?
Yes.
-- I looked again at the way we compute the relative velocity at contact. I do not see anything wrong in the way we apply the shift due to the change in the velocity gradient. The explosion of the sample happens only for the case with ratcheting, though. It is strange, I agree, but we should find an explanation. Only one doubt for the moment: we update relative velocity at contact and then we also update the velocities in the NewtonIntegrator class. Is this correct? I know it is an old question but I still have the feeling that we are updating the velocities twice (I recall that Cundall is only updating particle positions and then relative velocities).
The shift in relative velocity is not updating the particle velocity, it is only considering the velocity of its duplicate in a different period. So, we are not doing something twice : velocity is updated only in Newton. Still, a mistake in this shift could explain explosions in some cases.

Cheers.

Bruno

--
Bruno Chareyre