Re: [Question #138108]: issues with plotting (maybe due to matplotlib)

Václav Šmilauer proposed the following answer:
Hi there, I had the matplotlib package rebuild in 9.10 yesterday:
https://launchpad.net/~yade-
users/+archive/external?field.series_filter=karmic (it failed for i386
for dependency reasons, but I think you're running 64bit system anyway);
you can install it by running

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yade-users/external && sudo apt-get update
&& sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib

[I would say you should consider updating your system to 10.04; that one
has long-term support and, as always, newer versions of everything]