Re: [Question #156756]: Inclusion of attractive Van der Waals type particle-particle forces?

Chiara Modenese proposed the following answer:
VdW forces can also have an influence on the contact law itself. There are
different formulations around which consider the interplay between repulsive
and attractive forces at the contact. In physics, this interplay exists and
would change the contact stress distribution even. As I said, think first
about the assumptions you want to make. If you will like to consider the
superposition of adhesion to repulsive forces, then Bruno's suggestion can
work well. Otherwise, you should modify your contact law, I believe.

Chiara