[Question #172107]: Difference between volumetric strains evaluated by strains and void ratio

Hi all,

I noticed that volumetric strains, evol, evaluated by strains, e11, e22, e33 such as evol = e11 + e22 + e33 and by void ratios such as Db/(1+b0), here b is void ratio, b0 is initial void ratio, Db is change of void ratio from triaxial tests are different. However, in actual cases (e.g. laboratory experiments), these two should give same results.

Do you have any idea why these two give different results.

I am sorry, I cannot attach any figures here, otherwise I could add a figure showing my problem.

Thank you,

Janaka