Re: [Question #172107]: Difference between volumetric strains evaluated by strains and void ratio

janaka kumara is still having a problem:
Hi Viet,

Thank you very much for your comments.

My simulation is doen with 10000 particles. If there is anything to do
with no. of particles (for my volumetric strains), I can increase it in
future simulations.

Actually, my data is related to isotropic compaction. My impression is
that your data is related to axial compression (after isotropic
compaction).

Now, I checked my data on axial compression and found that volumetric
strains by two methods are equal. However, for that, initial void ratio
should be taken as the one at the start of axial compression. What I
think is that during axial compression, void ratio doesnt change much.
However, void ratio change much during isotropic compaction, thats where
my problem is.

I am glad if you could check your results for isotropic compaction,
where taking initial void ratio as the one at the start of the
simulation and then checking with a step within isotropic compaction.

I am also wondering why void ratio increase rather than decreasing (from
0.649 to 0.661). It seems to me that your test is kind of unloading. Any
ideas on that?

By the way, I am just curious why you got much difference for e11 and
e33. I think, if you have equal lateral stresses, s11 and s33, then you
should get approximately same strains for e11 and e33 (anyway, if you
have gone with different lateral stresses (true triaxial test), of
course, your data is correct).

Thank you,

Janaka