Re: [Question #175606]: How does "particleSD_2d" work ...???

Chiara Modenese proposed the following answer:
On 2 November 2011 12:50, Chareyre
<question175606@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Question #175606 on Yade changed:
>
> Chareyre posted a new comment:
> Chiara,  I was guessing this function was orphan since nobody was
> explaining its usage, but there is no reason to remove if it is used by
> someone (you). It is your decision.
>
> There are still things unclear that could maybe be fixed:
> - why mandatory name=""?

It should be removed (sorry).

> - why must we give psd and meanRad at the same time? it is annoying
> because defining the latest is non-trivial

Because we need an estimate of the initial volume of solids (the latter
could be the unknown in fact).

> - why your passing doesn't start at 0 and end at 100?

It is just an example.

> - running your example script, I get 505 spheres, why not 390?

Precisely because we are initially just guessing the volume of solids by
the number of particles and the meanRadius.

> I again improved makeCloud a bit in r2953. It is now very flexible:
> - 2D/3D
> - periodic or not
> - uniform or psd-based size distributions
> - distributions by mass or by number
> - target packing by meanRad OR by number, in arbitrary size of box.

Oh excellent! Then I will try your function and perhaps we can remove mine
which would be only redundant.
Chiara