Re: [Question #177419]: shear flow - periodic boundary

Chiara Modenese is still having a problem:
On 7 November 2011 11:15, Chareyre
<question177419@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Your question #177419 on Yade changed:

> Chareyre proposed the following answer:
> Thanks for the paper!
> Fig. 1 is an example of what I said: a simple rectangle arrangement can't
> describe a sheared media. They have to use the trick of shifting
> horizontaly the rectangles of the upper/lower layers, ok why not, but then
> it implies complex rules for moving the particles from one period to the
> other (see equations 1 to 4 + associated comments on the P, P', P''
> problem, and also the velocity shift problem).
>
> It terms of implementation it is horrible. You have to track each
> particle to detect when it leaves a period and enter another, because
> you must apply an instantaneous position jump to it. In yade, we don't
> do anything special when the particle leaves a period. The other problem
> is that a particle can have neighbors that are far away in the y
> direction as soon as the neighbors are in different periods, it means
> the AABB bounding cannot be employed.

I agree with you. I simply wanted some help to understand the difference
between what we are doing with respect to many others and so understand
their results (you will find plenty of papers in FM which refer to this
sort of implementation). At the beginning I thought we might not deal
correctly with large strains but I understand is not true in Yade at least
(we do not actually define a strain tensor and so on as we were saying).

Thanks for comments on the matter so far,
Chiara