Re: [Question #175394]: numerical instability and small time steps

Chiara Modenese proposed the following answer:
On 29 November 2011 10:05, Christian Jakob <
question175394@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Question #175394 on Yade changed:
>
> Christian Jakob posted a new comment:
> Ok, i will create a smaller example to figure out the differences.

I do remember that you already checked the Hertz law in Yade and PFC (and
the solution was the same). You could you use that same script just adding
the viscous force. Please, make sure you understand what the contact model
is doing in both codes.

> @chiara
>
> i looked into PFC manual, but i could not find anything reffered to time
> step determination in the case when viscous damping is active. there is
> just a definition of critical time step determination with t_{crit} =
> \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}

I am 100% sure there is a modification but I do not have the manual with me
now. As Bruno said, it should not matter provided that the contact model
acts the same way. However, it is good for you to understand/know how/why
the time step should be reduced in case of viscous contact damping.

Chiara